10. Snowbirds convene for the longest flashmob ever staged. What? You didn’t know they were the original inventors of the flashmob? Wait for it…wait for it…wait for it….keep waiting. Gotta love those retirees! They have such perspective, incredible wisdom and lots of cash that flows into our local economy. There are many reasons they are known as the greatest generation.
9. Perfect weather. Well, it is here in Phoenix. Not too hot, not too cold. No apocalyptic dust storms, no skies opening up with a year’s worth of rain in one hour, no searing I-can’t-touch-the-steering-wheel heat. Mmmmm. Ahhhhhh. I am in heaven!
8. NaNoWriMo National Novel Writing Month. It’s fun to watch and read about various writers’ efforts to write an entire novel in one month. Oh, the obsession, the angst, the insanity, the desperation! Sounds so fun! Maybe someday I’ll try it. Or not. For now, my novel’s characters are all in a drug-induced stupor until the holidays are done and over with in January. Believe me, it’s for the best.
7. Water returns to the local Riparian Preserve, bird sightings increase. I start bringing my binoculars on walks so I can get a better view of all those incredible birds. Where do you think all those northern species hang out while winter cold rages elsewhere?
6. My favorite cousin is coming for a visit and a 10K race. You should be excited too! She’s awesome, cool, smart, a killer Scrabble player, very funny, athletic, a book reader, a water engineer, a biker, hiker, runner and she’s single. Just saying.
5. Daylight savings time ends for six months, give or take an hour. I don’t have to do complex math calculations before I make a phone call out-of-state. Arizona doesn’t participate in this odd hoax on time manipulation. We’re waiting for actual time warp machines to be available at Walmart.
4. AnClOuGaSoMo. Not familiar with this one? Annual Clean Out the Garage Sometime Month. Also known in the Tilby house as Pack Rat Rearrangment Day or I-wish-I-lived-anywhere-but-in-this-household day. Once we’ve survived the self punishment of organizing all our junk it’s a nice feeling to be able to find things we didn’t know we owned but might want some day.
3. Gratitude, thankful status posts and happy lists abound. Nothing wrong with a little optimism, some paying attention to the positive in our lives. Some people set a goal to post something they’re grateful for as a Facebook status every day of the month. We are a very blessed group of people and ought to acknowledge that a little more often.
2. The Presidential Election will be over with – for a couple of months anyway. Hopefully, (cross your fingers) there are no hanging chads or other such anomalies.
1. Pie. ‘Nuff said.
- It’s Pie Time! (kaseysculinaryadventures.wordpress.com)
- I ran across this lovely bit of info on bizarre holidays. If you’re feeling the need for additional celebrations, reasons to have a party, or simply don’t have enough things to worry about.
- “Twas The Night Before NaNoWriMo… (musingsfromnevillesnavel.wordpress.com)
- Interesting Election Day Facts & Meanings (praisecharlotte.com)