It’s Gratituesday! Today I’m grateful. Yes. That’s it.
Sometimes life just stuns me with so much, yes I’m going to use the word, AWESOME.
I’m in awe.
Three months ago I got this app on my smart phone that’s basically a gratitude journal. I can write in one thing I’m grateful for or a whole long list of them. I can even add a photo for the day.
Family reunion fun!
Maybe for today I’ll simply list what I’ve written down in that app over the past week.
- Air travel
- Seeing one of my sisters
- Earphones for my own personal soundtrack to block out the world as needed
- A good book to read
- A chance to visit Mom and Dad
- Lulu the cat’s magical ways with my parents
- Walks with Mom
- Bright yellow birds in the fields
- Cool temperatures
- Amazing views that keep changing
- Life slowing down to a summer’s pace
- Seeing Mom succeed at sewing
- Emotional renewal
- Happy chubby baby pictures
- Stroking the cat and enjoying her purring
- My Grandparent’s phenomenal legacy
- Chilling with my older brother
- Meeting my newest nephew
- An early morning solitary walk in the mountains, twice
- Family Reunions
- Hugs from my other two brothers
- Flush toilets
- Early bedtimes
- Meeting my newest niece
- A warm shower
- A soft bed
- Salmon for dinner
- Hanging out with my other sisters
- Nature’s amazing offerings
I could go on and on and on. But I won’t. If I could use words to convey this overflowing feeling in my chest I’d find them, but for today words don’t come close.
To anyone I’ve come in contact with this past ten days I want to say, “How sweet it is to be loved by you.” (yup it’s a James Taylor song) You’ve made my life phenomenal and filled it with joy.
I’m blessed and very aware of it.
All week long I’ve enjoyed views like this.
Sure, I’m living in a kind of vacation bubble for almost two weeks. But, it’s not one of those vacations that involve hitting all the sights or spending tons of money or eating exotic foods. These past days revolve around family and nature. Love and beauty serve as foundations and structure for each day here.
How many vacations can you describe that way?
I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Heaven has shined on me recently. Or perhaps it’s more accurate to say I visited heaven recently. Perhaps both are true. Either way I’ve had a few thoughts without any details. Maybe I’ll elaborate on some of them in the coming weeks.
A few things I’ve learned this weekend:
- Time can and often does slow down when you’re with someone you love.
- Serendipity happens when you least expect it.
- Being open to those thoughts that have been pushing on a locked door inside your head just might take you somewhere surprising.
- Being cold can feel exhilarating or miserable depending on the circumstances and even more so, on your attitude.
- Breathing very cold air in a very warm bed produces happy dreams.
- Just because something makes you nervous doesn’t mean it’s going to feel bad, you might even experience sheer bliss.
- The stars look brighter and appear closer from inside a bubbling hot tub.
- The best recommendation for a great place to eat always comes from a local resident.
- There’s no such thing as too much hot chocolate or too much whipped cream on your hot chocolate.
- Saying goodbye never feels good.
- Saying hello outshines saying goodbye like sunlight outshines a starless night.
- Chocolate goes with everything.
- I’m a mountain girl at heart and will probably always feel restless living in the desert.
- Say yes to trying something different, the chances for joy lean in your favor.
- Blue comes in more shades than any other color of the rainbow, and I pretty sure I saw most of them in the past three days. Green comes in a at a close second.
- Taking a different path downhill from the one you take uphill can make all the difference.
Hoping none of this comes across as too vague or too pie-in-the-sky. But, if it does I’m not too worried about it. I’m feeling saturated with love, joy, relaxation and warmth.
Hoping you’re able to find similar things in your days.
Categories: Joy, Nature, Outdoors, People
Tags: Chocolate, getting away, happiness, heaven, truth, vacation, weekend, wondering
It’s Gratituesday! Today I’m thankful for those rare days that happen when time slows, pauses and provides a restful sense of calm and peace.
Most often these are three-day weekends. You know that Friday-feels-like-Saturday sensation? Mmmm. Then the real Saturday feels like a bonus day. Then a tangible slowness silently inhabits Sunday. To-do lists cease to exist. Urgency disappears. Sweat pants or pajamas fill all clothing requirements.
Catlike, I nap, liquid, languorous and delicious. Stretching, I peer at the hours that lay before me, unhurried and unworried.
Add in a Monday free from obligations and by Monday evening I’ve transformed into a new person, rejuvenated, alight with quiet energy, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
All this finds more pleasure if the people you’re with are agreeable to a slow pace, quiet talk, flexible meal times, ignoring clocks, lazy strolls, comfy couches and plenty of chocolate.
I’ve been fortunate, richly blessed, to have just had such a weekend. I’m all smiles and ease. Just what I’ve been needing.
Ground cover softening a stone path beside a small pond.